Friday, January 6, 2017

Book Review: The Mercy Thompson series (1-9) by Patricia Riggs

Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...

This series, like many of the books I read, came recommended by Emily, the Gnoming Librarian. She mentioned the series to me a while ago, certain that I would enjoy it, but I had lots of other books to read (most of them also recommended by her) and kept putting it off. But when Maggie Stiefvater came to hang out with us (remember that time a month ago that I got to spend the evening with Maggie Stiefvater!!!), she happened to mention having read it (and there was a werewolf named Sam in it and one in Twilight, so it would be weird if her werewolf character wasn't named Sam). So of course, the next day when I went to work, the first thing I did was grab the first three books in the series.

Going into the story, I really didn't know anything about it (except obviously that it had a werewolf named Sam), but I was on a reading kick, so it really didn't matter. So into Mercy's world I ventured, and man, did I have a tough time leaving. In fact, three weeks and nine books later, and I'm still half living in that world, expecting some sort of fae to call me in the middle of the night needing my assistance.

Mercy might be a girl and turn into a mere thirty pound coyote, but she is one tough cookie. She is a mechanic, who owns her own shop, hangs out with vampires, gremlins, and werewolves, and takes on some powerful creatures, including more than one alpha werewolf. In the world that Patricia Briggs created, fae (fairy-tale magical creatures) have been revealed to the normal world. A reservation was created for them, and many fae retreated to the reservation in order to stay safe from hate crimes. Other creatures, which readers know exist, aren't out to the rest of the world yet, though this becomes part of the plot throughout the series.

Though the covers make them look like a little Harlequin romance novel, these were really good stories with good character development, exciting plot lines, complicated relationships, and characters that you will grow to love. Even the side characters are enjoyable. I would love to have Zee or Stefan on my side.

These were definitely a win in my book (see what I did there?), and I'm super excited that a tenth book is coming out in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow