Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Thankful For


(Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish)

It's Thanksgiving week! I hope you're able to spend a wonderful turkey-filled holiday with your loved ones! This week should have us all thinking about what we're thankful for, and one of the things I'm most thankful for in my life is books. Books give me the ability to escape, dream, and immerse myself into other worlds. They make me think, laugh, cry, and they're there for me when I need them. What more can you ask for in a friend? Here are some (there are many more) of the books for which I am most thankful.



1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
You didn't think I could make this list without Harry, did you? Harry has gotten me through many a tough time. He is my rock, my escape when I need to go to home to Hogwarts for awhile. Plus, Ms. Rowling changed a generation and future generation's views on reading. Reading is cool.



2. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
I know. I know. I'll probably get some backlash from this, but here's the deal: Twilight changed the world of Young Adult books. It made them accessible and put books in the hands of a lot of reluctant readers. Plus as a teenager, I really related to bookish, clumsy Bella, so the books spoke to me. :)
 


3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
This book is a great reminder that everything affects everything. Everything you do or say to someone no matter how small it might seem to you can make a huge difference in someone else's life. After reading this, I try to remind myself of that daily - that each teen I come in contact with can be affected by my interactions with them (no matter how much I might think they're not listening)



4. Adnan's Story (Review) by Rabia Chaundry
I got hooked on the Serial podcast and then a side podcast about Adnan called Undisclosed, so I knew I had to read this book. What I learned was much more than more details on Adnan's life and the murder he was convicted of. I learned about Muslim culture, about the normal activities and fears surrounding a Muslim American's day to day life, and it was a enlightening.



5. Habibi by Naomi Shihab Nye
"Liyana moves with her family from St. Louis to Jerusalem. At first Liyana misses the U.S., can't speak the languages, and feels uncertain at school, "tipped between" the cultures. The military occupation is always there and the conflict between Jew and Arab. After a Palestinian bomb has injured civilians, the Israelis shoot an innocent boy in the leg, and Liyana's father is held in prison overnight. Liyana meets a Jewish boy, and together they try to make peace." Naomi Shihab Nye is a poet as well as an author, and she really shows you the Israeli world.



6. A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
A young illiterate African American man witnesses two black robbers kill a white store owner in Louisana in the late 1940s, and he is the one convicted. This story is so sad and poignant. It will touch your heart and leave you ready to change the world.



7. Saint Anything (Review) by Sarah Dessen
I went through many similar things as Sydney did in this story. It's a beautiful tale of friendships, romance, and a family learning to truly see each other for who they really are. READ IT!



8. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene
Probably my first book loves. I wanted to solve a mystery too. 



9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
This one showed me that there are other people out there just like me! Who knew?!



10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I think, I hope, that the Hunger Games has opened eyes to what could happen in our society if we're not careful. I love the politics within it, as well as pretty much everything else. 
 
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! What are some books you're thankful for?

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I totally agree with you on Thirteen Reasons Why, after reading it, I have always tried to remind myself that everything I say has the power to affect someone.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/top-ten-tuesday-84/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful that I finally read Harry Potter this year because it has changed my life that much over the course of the past few months. I loved Saint Anything as well, and though I've never been through anything like Sydney, it was such a powerful read for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO grateful for Fangirl! I absolutely adore that book. I read it twice this year actually :DD,

    ReplyDelete

Share with friends!

Follow