Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favorite Character Names



Today's Top Ten Tuesday Challenge is about character names! Names in books can either be an asset or hindrance. Sometimes they make the character - personality, uniqueness - and sometimes they mess with your reading because you know you can't pronounce it right, so instead of trying you change their name to 'K' in your head and keep reading.

I both love and hate character names. When trying to write my own stories, that's usually where I get stuck - there at the beginning trying to figure out what their names are supposed to be. Will it be too difficult to pronounce? Is it already in a well known book somewhere? Is it too boring? Does it really matter because no one is ever going to read it anyway? And then of course it's a spiral downhill from there...

So I thought I'd go for some of the character names I love! Here's ten or so of them :) 


 1. America, Maxon, and Aspen  - The Selection series by Kiera Cass


 2. Cadence (Cady) - We Were Liars by e. lockhart


 3. Elliot (for a girl) and Kai - For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund


4. Micheline Helsing, and Luca (the ghost) - Shutter by Courtney Alameda


 5. Kestrel and Arin - The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski


 6. Everything Gail Carriger! (which I'm counting as one!) 
 Sophronia, Soap, Sidheag, Genevieve (Vieve), and Felix  -
 The Finishing School series


Alexia and Conall - The Parasol Protectorate


Prudence (Rue) and Quesnel - The Curstard Protocol


7. Jasper (Jazz) and Howie - I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga


 8. Evie and Jericho - The Diviners by Libba Bray


 9. Laia and Elias - An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir


10. Blue, Gansey, and Ronan - The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (because I couldn't resist!)

2 comments:

  1. Love the names! I haven't read The Diviners in forever, but I remembered the name Evie and that character- great name. I need to reread this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Diviners (and everything by Libba Bray) If you haven't yet, you should read the sequel Lair of Dreams!

      Delete

Share with friends!

Follow