Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Reasons I Love Being a Librarian

(Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish)

Today's Top Ten Tuesday was very open ended - Ten Reasons I Love X. There are so many things I could do! Steampunk, Fairy Tales, Mysteries, Cats, Harry Potter...but I thought maybe I'd give my awesome job a shoutout and talk about the joys of being a librarian. So here are a few of my favorite things about being a librarian. 



1. Buying Books
I get to read reviews on new books coming out and then purchase them for the library. Dream Job. 


2. Book Clubs
I get to read books (mostly that I want to read) and talk about them with people.



3. Teaching
I'm not a teacher. I don't have a teaching degree, and I don't get summers off, but I do do a lot of teaching. This can include computer basics, research skills, resumes, signing up for email - but sometimes I get to teach awesome things like how to make monkey bread in the microwave, how to demonstrate Newton's Law with eggs, or even just who the Backstreet Boys are.  


4. Book Recommendations
The beginning of this video is pretty much accurate. When someone wants a book recommendation, we all come running. It's one of  my favorite parts about my job - finding out what you like to read and finding you something you'll like even better! 


5. Geeking out over books with others
When I start talking about books, it can be difficult to get me to stop. So beware. Especially if you ask me about a book I love! 

6. Making Someone's Day
Truly one of the best things about being a librarian is making a difference in someone's day. When you help someone get into that lost email and find the picture of their grandchild, apply for a job, or find that book that they've been searching for, it's a rewarding experience. Plus book people are the most excited people ever. 

7. Adventures
Every day is a new adventure! The library is never boring. There's always something different happening. It's not a desk job where I do the same thing day in and day out. It never gets repetitive, especially when you're working with teenagers. :) 

8. Learning
The library is truly a place where you learn something new every day, whether it be something a patron asks about, new technology, or a craft. 

9. Peoples
People are strange when you're a stranger. But seriously the people are what make this job interesting. You get your crazies and eccentrics, but there are also a ton of super nice people. They want to talk books or movies or even about their time in the War.


 10. Awesome Coworkers
Last but not least, the best part of my job is the amazing people I work with. I've worked with some pretty fantastic people since I started working in libraries eight years ago. Here at GPL I work with an awesome group of coworkers who I'm happy to call friends. Not only are they great to work with, but we have fun movie nights, message each other watching Once Upon a Time, take road trips to attend Book Conventions, and celebrate the end of the school year and beginning of the summer with a beverage after work. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful job, and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow