Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books I Got at BookCon & the authors I met!



So last weekend, I got to go to BookCon. It was crazy, surreal, exhausting, and ultimately wonderful. I went with four other librarians - #librarianroadtrip - We drove to Chicago on Friday night, stayed in a hotel, and got up early Saturday morning.




We planned on eating a big breakfast...but alas, our plan was foiled for the line was already a mile long at 6am (even though the Queue Hall for getting wristbands for autographs didn't open until 8).




So we took turns getting coffee and sat in line. Honestly, the whole day was spent standing (or sitting) in lines. It was pretty insane!

But we came out of it with quite the loot, and I thought I'd share with you some of the books I got!

1&2. Raven Boys & Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater


By some miracle, we were first in line to see Maggie Stiefvater! We were ridiculously excited. And we managed to snag a free copy of The Raven King for being first in line! Maggie was pretty much exactly what I expected her to be, (AMAZING) and of course I couldn't think of anything else to say to her, so I asked how her trip to Chicago was going. I really wanted to ask what happened to Noah...

Look! Proof that I met her! How cool is that?




3. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir



Sabaa Tahir was lovely! She asked me about my t-shirt (I was wearing my "In touch with my inner pirate" t-shirt that I've had since 8th grade) and said that she was in touch with her inner pirate too. I'm super excited for the sequel to this one: A Torch Against the Night coming out August 30th.

4. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson (Review to come soon)



This is horrible picture, but it gives an honest look of how much I was geeking out at BookCon. Plus, isn't Morgan Matson Adorable? She was super sweet, and I want to be her friend.
I told her that Second Chance Summer made me cry for three chapters, and she apologized. :)

5. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


At this point in the day, our phones were pretty much dead, and I was so tired I forgot to take a picture! :( But I met Ruta Sepetys, and she was really nice! I told her that she needed to write a sequel to Out of the Easy (which I had JUST finished), and she said she agreed! She said that Josie is based off her mother, and she knows exactly what happens to the characters, so she should definitely write a sequel. Ruta, I'm holding you to it now! I need to know what happens next.

6. Red Rising by Pierce Brown



So we didn't actually get to "meet" Pierce Brown, but we did see him several times. And I won't lie, we may have done a little ogling. He's kinda lovely. Google him. Also he seemed genuinely nice, at least from a distance. We managed to get his book and the rest on this list from a magic table where books just kept appearing while waiting in line to meet Ruta! We didn't want to leave the line! I'll just give you a little synopsis of those :)

7. H20 by Virginia Bergin



When a strange rain falls bearing a fatal, contagious disease, Ruby finds herself alone with the only drinkable water quickly running out.

8. Alive by Scott Sigler



Waking up in a mysterious enclosed space with no memory of their identities, a group of adults uncovers evidence of a long-past war and the horrifying realities of their confinement.

9. Anything You Want by Geoff Herbach



When Taco's longtime crush, Maggie, not only goes to junior prom with him but ends up pregnant Taco sees it as a fresh start but her parents have other plans.

10. Shannara by Terry Brooks



Long ago, wars ravaged the world. In peaceful Shady Vale, half-elfin Shea Ohmsford knows little of such troubles. Then the giant, forbidding Allanon reveals the supposedly dead Warlock Lord is plotting to destroy everything in his wake. The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness is the Sword of Shannara, which can be used only by a true heir of Shannara.

So we had a pretty amazing time at BookCon, and if it ever comes back near Indy, I'm totally going again! Though I might have to plan ahead and use that as my vacation time because man we were exhausted afterward! Here's a few more pictures I took of the trip just for fun!

Windmills! I want to live here! 

First time through a toll! I loved it!  

Wands at the ready! 

Wristbands!  

 The crowd!

 Sarah J. Maas was in the line next to Maggie's! We wanted to see her too, but you could only choose one per time slot. 


Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff with Mike the Gnome @thegnominglibrarian.com 



Relaxing on the way home! 


Loot!


The view from above :) 





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow