Friday, April 1, 2016

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything. (Summary from Goodreads)





Before I read Beautiful Creatures I did the number one booklovers' no-no. You guessed it. I saw the movie. And I'll tell you the truth. I loved it.

A handsome southern boy trying to escape his little town and it's not-so-moral values meets a pretty girl who's traveled the world, and he is mysteriously drawn to her. And she's plagued by a curse that forbids her from loving a mortal. Together they try to find a solution, so that they can be together. You guys, this is my kind of story. Add to that Jeremy Irons, Emma Thomson, Viola Davis, Emmy Rossum, and the adorable Alden Ehrenreich as the main character. I maybe have watched it a couple times...maybe more like ten.

So when someone told me that the book was nothing like the movie, but it was definitely better, i was intrigued. I'll admit at that point, I wasn't really intrigued enough to read it. But since I'm planning to go to Book Con and meet several fabulous authors, including Kami Garcia (AND Maggie Stiefvater!) I'm trying to read at least one book by each author or as close to it as I can get. So Beautiful Creatures was my first choice. I finally had an excuse to read it!

And I'm really glad I read it. I already told you I loved the movie. And I still do. I liked the book just as much. And I thought it was really similar to the movie. There were a few difference here and there, but pretty much the same storyline...except that now I want to read the sequel!

On a side note - I think I'm going to have to make a southern mystery booklist now...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow