Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday Fun: My Favorite Musicals

Since the very nice production of Grease LIVE a couple weeks ago, I've been in a musical mood. If you know me at all, you probably know that means I'm singing at every given opportunity and reminiscing over old choir performances and vocal contests.

So, without further ado, I present to you my favorite musicals.

1. A Chorus Line
What I Did for Love was the first song I performed for vocal competition. It's beautiful and makes me cry.

2. My Fair Lady
One of the best movie musicals - Audrey Hepburn and her Cockney accent (I don't care if it's not her singing) The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain. Just you wait 'enry 'iggins, just you wait.

3. West Side Story 
 Romeo, Romeo...wherefore art thou Tony? Romeo and Juliet's tragic story turned into racial conflict between 1950s New York City gangs, complete with ballet dancing and rumbles in the streets = perfection. Plus the song Maria taught me how to find a tritone (augmented 4th interval) in Aural Composition. 

4. The Sound of Music
Julie Andrews. Need I say more? Ok, I can. I'm pretty sure this is the musical that taught me how to sing. Literally, Do-Re-Mi teaches you how to sing. And Christopher Plummer was beautiful. And Edelweiss breaks your heart. When I turned 16, I rewrote the song I am 16 Going on 17. This musical is part of me. 

 5. Hello Dolly
I love Barbra. Everyone loves Walter Matthau. Before the Parade Passes By was my first solo in choir (4th grade spring program called Willkommen).
 6.Les Miserables
Les Mis is beautiful too, but the sad kind of beautiful. If you're looking for a good cry (or want to get angry about politics and class divide), this is a good Friday night choice.

7. The Phantom of the Opera
It's a classic, and I got to meet the phantom when I saw it at the Aronoff in Cincinnati. He got on our school bus and signed my playbill. It was amazing.

 8. Rent
So much can happen in the course of a year. Jonathan Larson was a genius. He pushed limits and exposed the harsh reality of AIDS.

9. Newsies
The Gnoming Librarian and I tried to watch this in the teen room every day this summer. We succeeded in driving the teens crazy and exposing them to new music...and Batman dancing and singing.
 
10. Wicked
Are people born wicked or is wickedness thrust upon them? As obsessions go (of any kind...Harry Potter being Numero Uno), Wicked is in the top 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow