Monday, February 22, 2016

Book Review: Batgirl, Vol. 1 by Cameron Stewart

Barbara Gordon is no stranger to dusting herself off when disaster strikes, so when a fire destroys everything she owns, she spots the opportunity for a new lease on life – and seizes it! Following the rest of Gotham City’s young adults to the hip border district of Burnside, Barbara sets about building an all-new Batgirl…and discovers new threats preying on her peers! As the new hero of Burnside, Batgirl gets started by facing twin sister assassins on motorcycles! (Summary from Goodreads.com) 

Guys, I read a graphic novel! The whole thing! I'm really bad at reading graphic novels. I like pictures, and I like books that go with pictures, but the action, and the word bubbles confuse me. I get lost and frustrated and tend to give up. I like to use my imagination for those things. So I don't read them often.

The reason I read Batgirl is likely obvious to many of you. Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl) was originally a librarian, so those of us who chose that profession tend to lean toward her as a bit of a role model. We can totally fight crime in the night and recommend books, teach computer classes, and run programs all day. We're freaking superheroes - it's true.

So for that reason, I decided to give Batgirl: The New 52 a try. But unfortunately, I was quickly disappointed for Barbara did not have her Master's in Library Science, but instead was a computer program developer of some sort. She's still pretty bad-a, and it's fun to see her updated, but I found the plot silly and too easily predictable. Give it a try if you like graphic novels. Unfortunately, it's going to take a little more to impress me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow