Saturday, January 9, 2016

Favorite Book to Movie or TV Adaptations


In honor of The 5th Wave movie coming out soon and The Mortal Instruments debuting as a TV show next week (Shadowhunters on ABC Freeform), I thought I'd make a list of my favorite book to movie or TV adaptations. I know a lot of people hate it when their favorite books are transformed into a screen. The characters don't look like that, you think, or they left out my favorite line! I'm right there with you at times, but you know, sometimes those filmmakers get it right. So here are my top 12 favorite book adaptations. 

1. Matilda
I didn't read the Matilda book until I was an adult, but I saw the movie over and over as a child. I tend to quote parts of it randomly, and find myself dancing to Send Me On My Way. The book was good guys, but as is the case very rarely, the movie is better! A little magic, books, a newt in the principal's water...and Danny Devito with blond hair and a hat glued to his head. Classic. 

2. The Hunger Games
I don't think I've really expressed my love for Hunger Games yet, but it's real. I loved the books. I've read them multiple times. I love the political themes that need to be emphasized for younger generations. I love the characters-Haymitch is my favorite. And guys, I love the movies. Not only because I have a girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence, but because they're brilliantly made. They tell the story without leaving out the important bits. Every time I watch them I end up with cold chills. 

3. Perks of being a Wallflower 
When I heard that Emma Watson was going to star in this movie, I decided I had to read the book. And I liked the book. I could relate to the characters in some ways, though not in others. But that changed when I watched the movie. The actors brought this story to life. They made it real and true. I just wanted to hug all of them. It's a very good, heartfelt film. 

4. Epic
A lot of people don't know that this movie was based off of a book. The picture book The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs by William Joyce has beautiful illustrations and an adorable story. The movie that came from it, was adorable as well. 

5. Inkheart
This trilogy of books is fabulous! You'll fall in love with so many characters and wish your dad could read people into and out of books too! They only made on movie, and it starred Paul Bettany, Helen Mirren, and Brendan Fraiser. Though it didn't follow the book real closely, the cast did the story justice! 

6. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
I love Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is a terrific love story (My favorite is Persuasion) The Lizzie Bennet diaries is a modern day retelling of Elizabeth Bennet's plight created as a web series by Bernie Su and Hank Green. The hilarious series is 64 episodes, about five minutes each, and free on YouTube. Well worth the watch! 

7. The Host
A lot of people didn't like Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga, but you should still give her novel The Host a try if you haven't! It's well-written and tells the story of Melanie - one of the few uninhabited humans left in a world where humans have been infiltrated by alien hosts taking over their human bodies and lives by living in their minds. When a host is implanted in Melanie though, she tries to continue controlling her own body. The movie is good! 

8. The Quiet American
Graham Greene was a wonderful British author. This is one of my top favorites about a reporter (Michael Caine) in Vietnam who meets an idealist American (Brendan Frasier again). They work together and become friends but the American falls for the reporter's Vietnamese girlfriend. It's both a love story, a war story, and a story on existentialism...why are we here? Why are we doing what we're doing? What's the point of it all? The book is fantastic, full of beautiful quotes, and the movie was good too. Of course it is. It has Michael Caine.

9. The Lord of the Rings
I'll be honest here. I tried to read Tolkein's  books. In fact I've tried several times. I even finished The Hobbit. But I think they're slow and cumbersome, and I'd really just like for him to get to the story instead of describing a mountain for three pages. But the movies are a different story. Through the movies, I got to see the adorable side of Sam, the sweet hilarity that is Merry and Pippin, the strength and stubbornness of Frodo, and of course the handsome ruggedness of Aragorn. I mean they could have totally left off the stupid giant spiders, but other than that they are beautiful movies. 

10. Little Women
I'm pretty sure I just talked about this fantastic story, but you can never have too much of a good thing, right? A sweet  story of sisters and family during the Civil War just trying to make it through and help those who are less fortunate. They're all such strong women in their own ways, and of course there is the beautiful piano for Beth at Christmas, Jo as a struggling writer, and well Laurie... Jo should have totally ended up with Laurie. Who says no to a proposal from Christian Bale? Anyway, read it and watch it guys. This version happens to be my favorite :) 

11. The Chronicles of Narnia
I'm slightly partial to this one. We did it as a play with our homeschoolers at the library this past year (craziness), and we had a blast. Needless to say, I have the thing memorized, and there are so many subtle jokes, especially with Mr. And Mrs.
Beaver. If you haven't seen it, you should get on that! 


12. Harry Potter
Duh, Jessica! So while making this list, I realized that I almost left out the most important one - Harry, of course! I have loved Harry for...let me do the math...15 years now, since the first movie was released in theaters. I had read two of the books at that point, but I wasn't a true fan until I saw the movie. But from then on guys, I was hooked. I love the books. They're displayed in a special spot on my shelves. And I love the movies, and watch them over and over again. And I'm super excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow