Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Booklist: If you like Game of Thrones, you should read...


So, back when Game of Thrones started, someone told me that the actor I liked died in the first season. So I decided that I didn't really want to watch it. But then I went home for Christmas vacation, where my beautiful mother decided that I was going to watch it. Two episodes in, and I was officially hooked. Now I'm on the second season (which I could have gotten to faster if I didn't have to go to work, clean my apartment, etc), and oh my goodness...I can't wait to watch the next episode!

I know a lot of people out there are much farther on in the series than I am and waiting for the next season and next book to come out. (I plan on reading at least the first book this year) So, I thought I'd put together a list of books to keep you entertained in the meantime...

Here are ten books you should read if you like Game of Thrones!



1. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
After the suspicious death of her mother in 1895, sixteen-year-old Gemma returns to England, after many years in India, to attend a finishing school where she becomes aware of her magical powers and ability to see into the spirit world.



2. Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
When fifteen-year-old Will is rejected by battleschool, he becomes the reluctant apprentice to the mysterious Ranger Halt, and winds up protecting the kingdom from danger.



3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.



4. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.



5. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protege of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.



6. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
An aristocratic girl who is a member of a warmongering and enslaving empire purchases a slave, an act that sets in motion a rebellion that might overthrow her world as well as her heart.



7. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Blue Sargent's gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the Aglionby Academy, she discovers that together their talents are a dangerous mix.



8. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
In a world where dragons and humans coexist in an uneasy truce and dragons can assume human form, Seraphina, whose mother died giving birth to her, grapples with her own identity amid magical secrets and royal scandals, while she struggles to accept and develop her extraordinary musical talents.



9. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
When her latent supernatural powers manifest in front of a noble court, Mare, a thief in a world divided between commoners and superhumans, is forced to assume the role of lost princess before risking everything to help a growing rebellion.



10. The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons
Living in hiding with other ragtag girls in a world where women are hunted and sold for breeding, Aya is caught by a group of businessmen who test her survival skills.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow