Thursday, December 24, 2015

Nanowrimo - The thing that took away November


Hello all, 

I promised a post about Nanowrimo, so here it is. Nanowrimo: National Novel Writing Month is an annual, Internet-based creative writing project that takes place during the month of November. NaNoWriMo challenges participants to write 50,000 words (the minimum number of words for a novel) from November 1st until the deadline at 11:59PM on November 30th. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to get people writing and keep them motivated throughout the process.

I tried participating last year, but full of excuses,  didn't make it past 3,000 words. I was driving an hour to work everyday, and yada yada. Really the motivation and inspiration weren't there. But this year, I decided what the heck! I've got a billion or so stories in my head somewhere, and it's time to get at least one of them out. So, I decided to jump in and do it. It was not easy. There were several days where I had to force myself to write. There were a few days where I had to just put it aside and not write. But there were also days where I didn't want to go to sleep or to work because I feel into the groove. It had been a long time since I'd really tried to write a story, and in doing so, I learned a lot about myself. And I found that I can do it. Even when the motivation and inspiration aren't there, I can find words to keep writing. I have always been a writer to be honest, but this really gave me the motivation that I needed to really write something, hopefully something worth reading someday.


I'll add that a lot of things suffered during the month of November. I haven't been posting on here. I didn't do much transcribing. I didn't read a book (none at all!) And I did barely any laundry or dishes. I also broke my computer, and had to buy a new one! That almost ruined my chances of finishing Nano, but I got lucky and found a new computer on sale (the day BEFORE Thanksgiving), and my amazing boyfriend bought it for me. 

My finished project isn't really shareable or something that I intend to try to get published, but I'll share a little excerpt with you. The first part is a diary entry. 

I pulled Patrick’s arm away from my neck and looked around.  As much as I had been dreaming about this moment for months, I had a really bad feeling. The kind of feeling that seeped up through skin into your bones. It caused your hands to shake beyond your control. Like the music from Psycho. It snuck up on your slowly and then wham! I realized that though I’d removed Patrick’s hand from my neck, it was now clasped in mine, our fingers entwined. But instead of being out of romance or desire, it was out of fear. For some reason, I knew he had felt the chill, the horror of that moment as well.
            It should have been pretty dark at this point, a little past dusk, and the fireworks should have been starting soon. But suddenly at some point, while they were dancing without a care, the sky had become pitch black, which was extremely unusual for Connecticut in July. Usually the sky was full of stars, constellations telling the stories of legendary heroes from thousands of years in the past: Hercules, Orion, Perseus. But there were no heroes here. But there was something, a presence watching us from a dark veil, blocking the stars from us, preventing us from finding hope in their light. Patrick squeezed my hand and walked in front of me.
            Alright, Lena shook out of her trance, slapping the diary shut. This was a nice story and all, but it was starting to sound like Harry Potter, and as much as Lena loved Harry Potter – she really did – was her mother trying to pass this off as a true story? Maybe Lena had been wrong and this was actually her mother’s creative writing journal, and she was writing some crazy story for a class or just for fun. Or maybe this was some sort of weird dream she’d written down. She looked back at the beginning of the diary to see if there was any indication of her mother’s intentions for the story, nothing. Maybe she could research the peoples’ names, see if they were real people. She worked in the library after all and had access to all those historical documents…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with friends!

Follow